By Kathryn M. D’Imperio
Mardi Gras is a special time for us to enjoy every year, full of good food, music, tasty beverages, and great friends. Celebrate Mardi Gras in style with stellar Mardi Gras nail art designs. This nail art tutorial will show you how to create your own Mardi Gras mask nail design step-by-step. Gather up your favorite nail polish colors and get ready to make your own Fat Tuesday nail designs! You can also create these fun masquerade nail designs for a costume party, Halloween, or a Masquerade Ball.
Before you get started painting your nails, first put down some paper towels, newspaper, or some other protective covering for your work surface. Then gather your favorite nail art materials, including nail polish, nail polish remover and cotton, nail art pens, nail stripers, nail dotting tools, nail gems, and anything else you might want to use for your Mardi Gras manicure.
DIY Mardi Gras Mask Nail Art
To create your own Mardi Gras nails, follow these steps:
1. Paint all of your nails with a base coat or nail strengthener.
2. Once dry, paint your background color on all nails. Choose your background color based on the contrast it will have with your Mardi Gras mask nail designs (light with dark and vice versa).
3. Paint a second coat of nail polish if necessary.
4. On a large nail such as your thumbnail or big toe, paint the letter B sideways across the nail. Then thicken the border so it becomes a plain eye mask when you turn your hand.
5. Using a thin nail art pen, striper, or toothpick, add a skinny line from the top corner of the mask to the tip of the nail.
6. You have the basis for your Mardi Gras mask! Now comes the fun part – decorate it however you like. Think of sequins and feathers! You can paint the tiny details with different nail art pens and paintbrushes or you can add tiny nail gems for special sparkle.
7. Don’t forget a topcoat to protect your Mardi Gras nails and help them to last longer.
This is just one style of Mardi Gras nail design! If you have other ideas, please share them in our comments!