By Kathryn M. D’Imperio
Glitter nail polish is one of the wonderful nail products that can be used by itself or in combination with other regular nail polish colors. You can use silver glitter nail polish with a deep navy blue nail polish for a midnight sky speckled with stars. If you prefer, you can simply paint your favorite combination of nail polish and glitter topcoat to match your school colors, your favorite outfit, or a fun color scheme you designed yourself. Consider these helpful tips to guide you in using glitter nail polish for your manicures and pedicures.
Glitter nail varnish can be used as a standalone color for your manicures and pedicures or it can be used as a sparkly topcoat for any mani, pedi, or nail art design. No matter if you plan to use glitter nail polish alone or to mix it with other nail colors, try these tips to get the most professional and beautiful glitter nails around.
Glitter Nail Polish Tips and Tricks
For fabulous glittery fingernails and toenails, try these tips:
1. Prep Work – Paint a basecoat before you apply glitter nail polish. Even if you don’t want any other colors, apply a clear base coat as a layer between your nails and the glitter polish. Sometimes glitter nail lacquer can be tough to remove from natural nails, so it’s best to add a base coat first.
2. Intensity – For a more noticeable glitter effect, continue to apply more coats of glitter nail varnish until you are happy with the results. You can add just one or two topcoats of glitter nail polish for a subtle effect or apply as many as five or more coats of glitter nail polish for a fully glittery effect.
3. Application – Apply a regular colorful base coat first and then create glitter nail tips by applying the sparkle polish to just the tips of your nails (similar to a French manicure or pedicure).
4. Finishing Touches – Complete a nail art manicure or pedicure with a sparkly topcoat. Remember, if your nail designs include small details, go light on the glitter so you can still see the designs.
5. Glitter Nail Art – Instead of painting the entire nail with glitter, you can make the smallest accents or tiny nail art designs with a glitter nail art pen if you prefer. You can create really cute glitter nail art designs, from stars to jewels to flowers, animals, and more. If you are a beginner, simply paint a diagonal line with a glitter nail pen on top of a colorful base coat of your choice.
6. Removal – Be patient when removing the glitter nail polish from your fingernails and toenails. If you applied a base coat, you should have an easier time removing the glitter polish. If not, just take your time and remove the nail varnish gently.
Glitter nail polish can be a lot of fun to use for all kinds of manicures, pedicures, and sparkly nail art designs. If you can afford to spruce up your collection, it helps to add a few different colors and styles of glitter nail polish to your collection. You can find glitter varnish where the sparkles are far apart with clear nail polish, or you can find very densely glittery nail polish products that can easily be used solo. Glitter nails can be perfect for special events (like school dances), holidays, and even everyday wear. Have fun mixing and matching glitter nail polish with your other favorite nail polish colors!